Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Welcome to Hiking Edziza

Congratulations on finding my Hiking Edziza blog. With information on this hike being scarce, it's too bad that the Google search engine doesn't recognize this as one of the better resources out there. Only the web-savvy and more thorough researchers make it here!

This is less of a blog and more of a photo essay documenting my 100 km backpacking trek across Mount Edziza Provincial Park, from Little Ball Lake to Buckley Lake, that was completed between August 26th and September 3rd, 2019. I did set up a blog in 2017/2018 to document my preparations leading up to this trip; including planning, equipment, finding hiking partners, and training hikes. My plan was to finish it all off with a complete trip report – thus providing readers with a valuable resource when planning their own trip. But my struggles with depression over the winter got the better of me and I ended up deleting the blog before I was able to add the trip report L.

Since reproducing the myriad of posts that I originally wrote is out of the question, readers will have to settle for what information I can work into my photo essay – but feel free to contact me if you have any specific questions.

Looking back, I feel that we were very lucky to get this hike in when we did. 2018 was plagued by a bad forest fire season in British Columbia with one of the biggest fires burning in the province resulting in the north end of the park being closed to access for much of the season. In 2020, corona virus is an issue and it would be doubtful that my three fellow adventurers traveling from Switzerland and Egypt would have been able to enter the country. 2019 also had its issues but we managed to squeak the trip in between a freak mid-August blizzard that dropped 60 cm (24+ inches) of snow on the park overnight (resulting in the few hikers in the park having to be rescued by helicopter), and some bad wind/rain squalls as the weather shifted to your typical autumn coastal dreariness.

In the end, this was the most spectacular and challenging trip I have ever been on. I could not have completed the trek without my hiking partners, Christoph, Alejandra, and Jeremy, who each contributed their own unique set of skills and even temperament to the trip. I could not have selected more enjoyable and competent people to go on an adventure with if I tried.

If you are coming on board as I construct my site, you will notice that I am posting the trip from end to beginning. This is being done on purpose so that once complete, the story can be followed from beginning to end as the reader scrolls through the posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment